I was able to get the scope out several nights the past week. I was gonna focus primarily on October 26th. What made that night significant was was my success in finding the M13 star cluster. M13 is approximately 145 light-years in diameter, and lies some 25,000 light years from earth. It's said to be composed of hundreds of thousands of stars, the brightest of which is a red giant.
When I first found M13, it was difficult to identify as a star cluster. It looked similar to M31, Andromeda Galaxy, just a little cloud in the lens, but I was using my 30mm SuperView lens, which gives more of a wide mosaic view. So I popped in a 9mm lens, and I was startled for second. I could see individual stars, just about like this picture here. It was phenomenal.
Star clusters, or if you want the technical name, globular clusters, are held together by an immense gravitational pull. Astronomers say that there could be about 180 different globular clusters in our own Galaxy, each spaced tens of thousands of light-years apart. The globular clusters are also said to be much older than the open clusters found throughout the arms of the galaxy, and are, of course, much more dense.
Telescopes
![]() |
| Orion xt8i, xt10i, and xt12i intelliscopes |


No comments:
Post a Comment